Monday, April 26, 2010

Special Olympics

This past weekend was the Special Olympics. This was the first year that I was the coordinator for the track events. It was a lot of fun even though there were a few hang ups. The Mile relay was a time bomb waiting to happen. Yes it did explode and if B'ann wasn't there to fix it, it would have been a disaster. We had a good team this year, we're known as Team Beann at the Special O's. Of course I cried when the athletes were singing the National Anthem and then I teared up again during the prayer. We were supposed to have really bad storms Friday and Saturday, but thank God for the clear blue skys we had all day Saturday.

Just to give you an idea of how well I think we ran these events, we didn't start running the races until after 9:30 in the morning...that's almost two hours behind schedule, we finished at 3 in the afternoon. In the past it would have taken them till 5 or 6 in the afternoon to finish the track events. We were going so fast there was a line of about 50 athletes lined up to get their medals. I'm happy with that. So Brian, Sam, Jayme, Emily, and Jennifer, thank you for making this past weekend a success. I think next year with the six of us and our other two Team Beann missing members, we will be set for an answer return to the special o in 2011.

I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I totally know how you feel. I had a moment watching Glee when the big girl got to be a cheerleader. (not that Special Olympians are equitable to round people or anything... I'm just sayin'.)

    ReplyDelete